Sydney’s newest harbour headland park, Barangaroo Reserve celebrates its first birthday this weekend with one million people already visiting the headland in the first year.
NSW Minister for Tourism and Major Events Stuart Ayres said one million visitors to Barangaroo Reserve in its first year is an outstanding result.
“Just like the Opera House and the Sydney Harbour Bridge, Barangaroo Reserve is quickly becoming a ‘must see’ on the itinerary, with more than 250,000 visitors in the past year from overseas or interstate,” Mr Ayres said.
“Barangaroo Reserve is one of the most visionary pieces of landscape infrastructure in the world and like its namesake is steeped in our city’s history. Barangaroo was a powerful woman at the time of European settlement, and Bennelong was one of her husbands.
“Even if you’ve visited Barangaroo in its first year, this Sunday’s free family fun day shouldn’t be missed with free activities amongst the stunning backdrop of the last day of ‘Sculpture At Barangaroo’ exhibition.
Barangaroo Delivery Authority Chief Executive Craig van der Laan said the Aboriginal cultural tours, award-winning landscape architecture and the blossoming flora make it a major CBD drawcard.
“The social and community benefits of the Reserve in its first year have been far reaching,” Mr van der Laan said.
“We have played host to dozens of cultural events, performances and sporting activities from New Year’s Eve and Australia Day to the Sydney Festival and NAIDOC Week which drew 14,000 visitors to learn more about Aboriginal culture.
“More than 4,000 people have explored the site’s rich Aboriginal historical and cultural significance through our tours.
“The 75,000 native plants, shrubs and trees planted last year have taken off, with the wattle currently in full bloom and the banksia, coral pea and westringia all coming into flower, so it’s paradise for garden lovers.”