Mr Piccoli said more than 400 teacher education scholarships, cadetships, internships and incentive scholarships are on offer.
“These incentives benefit aspiring teachers and enable public schools to secure the best teachers to inspire future generations. All scholars, cadets and interns are guaranteed a permanent teaching position in a NSW public school when they successfully complete their studies,” Mr Piccoli said.
Former scholarship recipient Thomas Pollard, who teaches mathematics at Wagga Wagga High School, is already making an impact. Thomas praised the security of a permanent job offer as one of the strongest motivators to his university studies.
“Overall teaching is great and it can be a rewarding job. I’m starting to get more senior classes now so I’m really enjoying teaching higher level maths, Mr Pollard said.”
Mr Piccoli said applications close on 18 September for:
- 300 teacher education scholarships available to HSC students, university students and career-change applicants training in areas of need;
- 50 teach.Rural scholarships for HSC students willing to teach in rural and remote schools;
- 25 cadetships for HSC students enrolling in teacher education studies who will work part-time in a NSW public school while studying;
- 25 internships for teacher education students entering their final year of study; and
- 40 incentive scholarships for final year students offering $2500 in the last semester of study and $1000 appointment allowance.