It’s time to bid adieu to sacrificing taste, as leading Aussie burger restaurants team up with Helga’s to launch delicious burger recipes featuring Helga’s new Gluten Free Gourmet Rolls. Helga’s has partnered with burger aficionados Chur Burger and Bar Luca, offering Gluten Free Gourmet Rolls recipes that are not only delectable but also easy to make at home. Indus age caught up with Head Chef, Warren Turnbull from Chur Burger, to share his top tips, burger recipes and more:
By Nidhi Kumari
What motivated you to collaborate with Helga’s to create a series of gourmet gluten free recipes?
Helga’s has launched a new range of Gluten Free Gourmet rolls recently, so to mark this very exciting occasion, I created six delicious gluten free burger recipes that people avoiding gluten can enjoy – and easily recreate themselves at home. There are two great flavours which, in my opinion, taste just as good as real bread – Traditional White and 5 Seeds. Both flavours are a source of fibre too and contain no artificial colours or flavours. There’s no reason to miss out on indulging in a delicious burger!
How has the response for Gluten Free burger options been so far in your restaurant?
The response has been overwhelmingly positive! We’ve always offered a gluten free burger option at Chur Burger, but our regular gluten free customers together with some of our new customers really enjoyed the Helga’s Gluten Free Gourmet Rolls. They only had great comments on the buns, both in terms of flavour appeal and texture.
Have you done/ tried something like this before?
We haven’t featured specials previously where it was exclusively using something like a gluten free bun, but were very surprised that people were willing to give it a go as soon as staff explained that the taste was that of a regular bread bun! We’ve been getting positive feedback – it’s been a huge success for Chur.
Can we have some ‘Top tips for creating the perfect gluten free burger’:
I have always followed the same philosophy throughout my career and that’s keep it simple. I always look to classic flavour combinations and just tweak to modernise, because like anything, if you have too many flavours happening you become confused on what you are eating.
Your message for the people who miss out on burger indulgence or sacrifice taste to meet their dietary requirements:
It’s never nice for anyone to have to miss out on the good things in life, especially when it’s something as good as a delicious burger. But now there are options available for gluten free avoiders and coeliacs, like Helga’s amazing new Gluten Free Gourmet Rolls – so no one will ever have to miss out again.
Simple and fresh cannot be beaten!
Chur Burger recipes for Helga’s:
CHEESE YOU’VE GOAT TO BE JOKING
GOATS CHEESE CROQUETTE BURGER WITH FIG KETCHUP AND GRILLED BACON
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 4 Helga’s Gluten Free Gourmet Rolls Traditional White or 5 Seed
- 8 slices of grilled streaky bacon
- 4 leaves of butter head lettuce
Goats cheese croquettes:
- 300g room temperature soft goat cheese
- 100g softened cream cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 400g gluten free breadcrumbs
- Place both the cheeses in a small bowl and mix to a smooth paste. Put in the fridge to firm up for 20 minutes
- Roll the cheese into four 100g balls, then form into patty shape. Place on a tray lined with baking paper and chill again for half an hour
- Place each patty into the whisked egg, then coat well in the breadcrumbs. Repeat this process once more so double crumbed. Chill for at least half an hour before cooking
- Place in fryer or pot of oil at 175oCand fry until golden brown all over, approximately 2-3 minutes
- Drain well on paper towels and sprinkle with sea salt, serve immediately
- 600g fresh figs, chopped
- 1 small tin of chopped tomatoes
- ¼tsp ground all spice
- 200g palm sugar, chopped
- 300ml red wine vinegar
- 50g pomegranate molasses
- ½tsp smoky paprika
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- Place palm sugar in pot on high heat and cook until it starts to caramel
- When it starts to caramel, add red wine vinegar. Be careful as it will spit
- Reduce by half then add remaining ingredients and simmer until it reaches a jam-like consistency
- Remove bay leaf and cinnamon stick. Allow to cool a little then blend to a ketchup consistency
- Add seasoning as needed then allow to chill before using. Put in squeeze bottle ready to serve
- Toast roll and brush with melted butter
- Place a piece of washed butter head lettuce on the bottom roll followed by the goats cheese croquette
- Squirt out about a tablespoon of fig ketchup on croquette and finish with two slices of grilled streaky bacon before placing roll lid on top
THE VEGCHURTERIAN BURGER
SPICED LENTIL PATTIE BURGER WITH RED ONION JAM, CARROT SALAD AND ORANGE LABNE
Prep time: 50minutes + overnight
Cooking time: 20minutes
- 7 Helga’s Gluten Free Gourmet Rolls Traditional White or 5 Seed
- Onion jam
- Orange labne (or refer to homemade recipe below)
- 240g black lentils, drained and blended in processor
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- ½bunch mint, finely chopped
- ½bunch coriander, finely chopped
- 2 eggs
- 100g besan flour
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 10g cumin powder
- 10g coriander powder
- 10g garlic powder
- 10g onion powder
- Mix all ingredients well, check for seasoning and form into seven patties
- Place a splash of oil in a hot pan and place patty in. Cook over medium heat for 2to 3minutes each side until golden and crisp on each side
- Finish with a squeeze of lemon and a pinch of sea salt
- 3 carrots, peeled, grated
- 2 tbsp
- ½bunch flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- ½orange juice
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Mix well and let steep for at least 15 minutes. Squeeze slightly before placing on patty.
- 500g natural Greek yogurt (hang in cheese cloth overnight to remove moisture)
- Zest and juice of ½orange
- 1 tbs honey
- Mix well, season and serve
- Toast Helga’s Gluten Free Gourmet Rolls and brush with melted butter
- Place a tablespoon of red onion jam on base of roll followed by lentil patty, then a tablespoon of the carrot salad followed by a half tablespoon of orange labne
- Place lid on top and serve.