Recognising the important contribution the Victorian NDIS taskforce has made towards the establishment of the National Disability Insurance Scheme, the Victorian Coalition Government today recommissioned the taskforce for a further three years.
The contribution of the taskforce has been fundamental in shaping the first stage of the design of the NDIS, launched in Barwon on 1 July 2013.
The taskforce has also provided valuable advice on the Victorian Government’s submission to the Productivity Commission on the NDIS, the expression of interest for the Barwon launch site, the NDIS legislation and rules, and the interaction between the NDIS and mainstream services.
Throughout these processes the taskforce has engaged actively with interested parties across the state.
Minister for Disability Services and Reform Mary Wooldridge said three new appointees will work with continuing taskforce members to provide the Government with advice on the future development of the NDIS. Bryan Woodford OAM will continue as chair.
“Taskforce members are leaders in our community who have shown great skill, passion and commitment to the NDIS and people with disability, their families and carers,” Ms Wooldridge said.
“I thank them for their work to date, and specifically acknowledge the contribution of departing members and welcome new members.
“I am confident that the taskforce’s diversity and continued leadership under Bryan Woodford means that it will continue to represent the interests of people with disability, their families and carers, as well as those providing services, and will deliver the best possible advice on the future of the NDIS.”
The taskforce will continue to inform the Victorian Government’s consideration of NDIS, including the impact of its launch on Victorians with disability, their families and carers, service providers and the broader Victorian community.
The taskforce will also advise government on strategic policy matters associated with the full scheme roll out.
Ms Wooldridge said the Victorian taskforce was the first such group formed by any state government to advise on the development of the National Disability Insurance Scheme.
New members of the NDIS taskforce
- Adrian Buckley, Acting CEO of Pathways, Psychiatric Disability Rehabilitation Support Service provider located in the Barwon area launch site of the NDIS in Victoria.
- Rosemary Malone, CEO Gateways, disability service provider located in the Barwon area launch site of the NDIS in Victoria.
- Graham Welton Slater, former member of the Life Insurance Actuarial Standards Board and former Group Chief Actuary, AXA Asia Pacific Holdings.
- Bryan Woodford OAM (Chair) Former CEO, Yooralla, with decades of experience in the disability sector; awarded a Medal of the Order of Australia for his services to people with disability.
- Chris Fyffe, Psychologist, former academic and consultant on disability and other issues; former regional director of Community Services Victoria.
- Robert Kerr, Honorary research fellow at the Brotherhood of St Laurence; former Head of Office at the Productivity Commission; former Commonwealth Treasury economist; former Commissioner with the Victorian Competition and Efficiency Commission (VCEC).
- Scott Sheppard, former Chairman of National Disability Services Victoria with over a decade of experience as CEO and in senior management roles in various disability organisations.
- Rob Knowles AO, Mental Health Commissioner for the National Mental Health Commission; Chairman of the Royal Children’s Hospital board; President of Mental Illness Fellowship; former Chairman of the Mental Health Council of Australia; former
- Fiona Smith, Barrister and former Chair of the Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission.
- Jane Tracy, Education Director, Centre for Developmental Disability Health Victoria at Monash University and medical practitioner.
- George Taleporos, Manager of Youth Disability Advocacy Services.
- John Forster, CEO of Noah’s Ark, Fellow of Williamson Community Leadership
- Simon McKeon AO, 2011 Australian of the Year; Executive Chairman of the Macquarie Group (Melbourne); CSIRO Chairman; founding Chairman of MS Research Australia; philanthropist.
- John Nairn, Director of Very Special Kids and Director of the James Macready-Bryan Foundation; held senior positions in the funds management and life insurance industries.
- Ron Wilson, Executive Director, Health Insurance Restricted Membership Association of Australia and former member of the Victorian Parliament.
- Richard Dent, Executive Director, Leadership Victoria; former CEO, EW Tipping Foundation and former Chairman of National Disability Services (Victoria).