HC dismisses plea against ban on Zakir Naik’s IRF

HC dismisses plea against ban on Zakir Naik’s IRF

The Delhi High Court on Thursday dismissed a plea filed by NRI televangelist Zakir Naik against a ban on his NGO Islamic Research Foundation (IRF), saying the home ministry has “sufficient material for immediate ban”.

Justice Sanjeev Sachdeva dismissing Naik’s plea, said: “Immediate action appears to have been taken in interest of sovereignty, integrity and maintenance of public order.”

Naik had challenged the November 17, 2016 notification imposing an immediate ban on the IRF for five years under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act.

The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) had earlier showed confidential documents to the court on the basis of which a decision to ban the foundation was taken.

The government had said that the IRF was banned as there was fear that youths could be “radicalised or motivated” to join terror groups.

Challenging the ban, the IRF had told the court that the notification did not give sufficient reasons and materials for taking such a step and that the ban was imposed without giving any showcause notice.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.