Police said four people died in the fire that occurred in Hotel Neelam near the main bus stand in Jammu city, a kilometre from city centre Shaheedi Chowk, early morning.
“The fire started after midnight. Immediately after smoke started billowing out of the hotel building fire tenders and rescue personnel reached the spot.
“Out of the injured persons, four succumbed to critical burn injuries and smoke poisoning. Twelve injured persons are being treated at the Jammu Medical College Hospital”, a senior police officer told IANS here.
Witnesses said fire started from a store room in the ground floor of the hotel where vehicle tyres had been stored. Reports also said the owner of the hotel is also a local transporter.
Senior district and provincial administration officials rushed to the spot to supervise rescue and relief operation as nearly a dozen fire tenders were batting to bring the blaze under control.